It is July, and it is only today that I have finally mended a wool sweater I bought for Brent last winter. Brent never wore the sweater even once because the dog we once had tore it out of the package before the sweater made it into the house. But here it is July and the sweater is mended and ready to wear. (And only b/c Kate is sick so we had to stay home today). When I think of it, when I was growing up, I never actually believed I would do any mending. It seemed so Laura Ingalls Wilder. Maybe this is part of the reason it takes me 6 months to get to my mending. But I have a solution. Kate has shown some interest in sewing. As soon as I am confident she can keep her fingers out of the way of the needle, I plan to enlist her in sewing class and hand all mending and sewing chores over to her. I will even make her bed for her until she is 18, if she will only sew and mend for me.
And as if that weren't enough, I have lost any interest whatsoever in cooking dinners. Three weeks ago, back when I used to plan dinners and then make them, I went to the grocery store and bought ingredients to make shrimp creole and carne asada tacos. I still haven't made either of these. I can't believe the celery and bell peppers are not rotten. We've had a lot of things come up around dinner time, but I seriously can't even imagine making dinner right now. I used to do it almost every night?! Was that really me? How complicated is it to make a dinner, I can't even remember. I think part of the reason for my lack of motivation is that it is summertime, for one, and our bathroom isn't done being remodeled yet (by us). Dinner seems just so unimportant.
But I have greatly improved in other areas of housekeeping. Grandma Barthule, you should see my folding, I think even you would be proud. And with a little luck I might make my first ever freezer jam today. Maybe we can eat that for dinner.


3 comments:
Freezer jam for dinner sounds perfect to me!
Hi Amber! It's Terrah, from high school. I found your blog from Tisha's and love reading it!
I, too, have been anti-cooking the last three weeks. Must be the hot weather! We've been doing a lot of pitas, hummus, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Yum.
My blog is private, but if you happen to want to see it, you can email me your email address at terrahjan at hotmail dot com. Isn't the blogosphere wonderful??
Amber - don't be to hard on yourself. We all got thru those phases and I think that mine happen in hot weather also. Why can't everyone be happy with cold juicy watermelon, otter pops and yogurt for dinner every night? I am sure that you will get back into the swing of things. And as far as hand sewing goes.....I am terrible. I would not hand sew something for my worst enemy. I am not quite sure who that is. :) Tell sweet Kate to get better soon
Post a Comment