A few nights ago the kids and I were doing our nightly reading ritual. I was rocking in the glider, reading from Anne of Green Gables. Anne and her friends were acting out Tennyson's "Lancelot and Elaine." At that point the book explains, "the fair lily maid and Lancelot and Guinevere and King Arthur had become very real people to [Anne and her friends], and Anne was devoured by secret regret that she had not been born in Camelot. Those days, she said, were so much more romantic than the present."I had to pause my reading so I could fully experience the irony of the moment. Oh, Anne, if you only knew! So many of us have been devoured by secret regret that we had not been born in the days of Anne on Prince Edward Island! Though I had never read the book before now, and I've repented of course, I had seen the movie and of course dreamed of being a girl on Prince Edward Island, rowing dories on the lake and attending church picnics with homemade ice cream and walking to school though the field with my bosom friend.
The only other place that I could imagine living a truly idyllic life was Mark Twain's South. I thought steam boats the most romantic thing on or off water and I claimed Gone with the Wind as my favorite movie as a teenager, though it was not quite the right era and though I'd seen it only once. As I think more about it, I wonder if those settings would have suited me after all. I could see that I might feel that women were too restrained, and it would be a shame to miss out on all the music from around the world that they were never exposed to. But I don't know, I think just maybe I could have lived a very satisfying life.
And now, because I can't help myself, here are a few other things Anne said that particularly pleased me to read:
"...it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it?"
"What a jolly rumble [the bridge] makes! I always like the rumble part of it. Isn't it splendid there are so many things to like in this world?"
"In the mornings I always thing the mornings are best; but when evening comes I think it's lovelier still."
"It's ever so much easier to be good if your clothes are fashionable."


2 comments:
Ah, I can definitely relate. I first read the book when I was in 1st grade. I spent many hours wishing I was "Anne with an e." I've been re-reading the series lately, and enjoying it immensely yet again.
Amber, there were countless times in London that I thought of you, but especially during the exhibition at Kensington Palace detailing the customs and required education in fashion and courtesy of the last debutantes (the young aristocratic women chosen to attend grand balls for royal princes to choose from for marriage). It detailed how they were required to dress, curtsy to the queen, dance, speak, etc. It even showcased several of the fanciest ball gowns and headdresses worn by these young women and gowns by Princess Diana. Though it showcased a little later time, I thought of the book you were reading on manners and courtesy of the 19th century, because many of the requirements were traditional for that time. So fascinating!
Your spider battling post was absolutely hilarious. Love reading your blog!
Post a Comment